friend friday: me versus you, us versus them

 image from original post here



1. Have you ever looked at someone's blog and thought yours will never measure up?

Sometimes I do. The major blogs I started reading many years back were Agathe of Style Bytes, Fashion Toast, Karla's Closet and WishWishWish. They were big even back then. I thought that was The Standard. Other variables I've discovered along the years include amazing-ness of photographs, awesome lifestyles, expensive clothes, number of comments and readership levels. Then as I jumped into my own Devilishly Pleasurable project a few months back, I did want mine to be aesthetically pleasing but one that is enjoyable and personal, where I can pour my passion, energy and style into. Not a competition, a collection of comments or anything along those lines.

Thus perhaps, the only 'will never measure up' thoughts is in terms of design of my posts and visuals these days. That, however, might be more influenced by D who's a designer. I watch him anally scour the web for inspiration and spend days poring over a latest concept for a client, battling with 'every last daft pixel', whilst he turns around and asks "My Art Director" for opinions on his work.  I have somehow become very concerned about the aesthetic. I never cared about grids, or much about specific typography in the past. Stuff were lopsided, pixelated and shoddy as long as they looked kinda pretty. Today I actually find myself enjoying these very much as I learn to play more with design.


 
2. Do you (did you) feel pressure to meet some kind of undefined standard for fashion bloggers?

Back when I had my now-dead old fashion blog, I realised the whole What's Trendy thing that mushroomed across so many blogs and look rather cool. Loads of skinny girls in the latest styles that everyone would laud and wax lyrical about. Sure, these girls and pieces looked extraordinary and I'd covet some of them. Then, the high street would dole them out, but sometimes you wonder if you really want to spend all that money for some disposable trends. But I did know that my style was slightly different-- i.e. the style that I wanted to develop, that felt in my blood and in my being. Slowly did I allow it to evolve and hey, I still get to dip into my Experiments With Latest Trends Persona once in a while. In that sense, I don't feel pressured any longer to meet unspoken fashion standards.




3. Many established fashion bloggers are also extraordinary DIYers, bakers, and crafty people. Do you think you need to combine all of these things to be successful at blogging?

I might raise my hand up at being a DIYer, crafty person and a bit of a chef, but the verdict is non-existent on whether I'm extraordinary at those ;)

Nonetheless, I doubt you need to combine those to be considered successful-- hey, then would you need to pretend to be someone else? I think most of these bloggers do these out of the love for their passions-- the ingredients in their personality. There are elements, of course, for success-- design, a strong voice, being good at certain trends, commanding a significant following, etcetera etcetera etcetera till kingdom come; yet I think one undeniable aspect is that no matter how much it is YOUR personality, don't forget you're writing for your readers too! Who are more often than not your friends as well :)



4. The most successful blogs are the ones that have their own personal voice - how are you developing your voice or how did you find yours?

Putting in elements from my life and peppering them with musings, sprinkling in the things I love and making friends with amazing people have helped me develop my voice and perspective.


5. Toot your own horn... what's one thing you do that is unique to you and your blog? What gives your blog an edge?

Devilishly Pleasurable loves luxe and decadent-- whether in terms of lifestyle or fashion. Whilst you might find almost no fashion reports here or latest high-street offerings, and whilst I may be 'behind the curve', the curve here is a devilishly pleasurable one ;)

What you find here now are: recipes; home improvement and inspiration; DIY and quick adaptations you can easily achieve; lifestyle pieces; tips on styling and blogging. And, you know you love The Shoes, sketches, creations, photos of feasting extravaganzas, ideas such as All Year Gift Guide For The Girl With Everything, and The Chocolate Buffet. Some readers enjoy my musings, which encourages me further to keep pumping in my own voice and stick on those feather lashes ;)

I also intend to bring in much more articles this year. . including those on Your Own Sensual Burlesque Style and living decadently whilst on a budget. Fact is, you don't need a million bucks (or anything close to that) for a Devilishly Pleasurable life!



To join Fashion Beauty Friend Friday, contact Katy Rose of ModlyChic.

0 purrs:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting devilishly pleasurable. would love to hear from you & drop by your sites too. do 'follow', add to blogroll-- would love to return that favour too x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...